We are continuing our study in the Psalms. Having looked at types of psalms in Part I, in Part II we will turn our attention to the connection between the story of the Old Testament woven throughout the psalms. We will look at six key historical themes that connect to six key points in the Bible story of the Old Testament: Creation, Abraham, the Exodus, the Wilderness, Zion and the Exile. Let’s begin in Genesis and the theme of Creation found in the Psalms.
Creation is one of the six key historical themes found in the Psalms. Psalms 8, 19, 104, and 148 contain the most concentrated creation language, but it is woven throughout the psalms.
How do we spot creation language in the psalms? Here are seven helpful categories:
1. The Psalms portray underlying confidence that God is the eternal Creator of the universe. God is Transcendent and Immanent. (Genesis 1-2)
2. The Psalms portray we live in a world under the shadow of death. (Genesis 3)
3. The Psalms portray we live in a world that is stable and ordered because God is Sovereign.
4. The Psalms portray we live in a world for which God generously provides. God is Provident.
5. The Psalms portray we live in a world that we are intended to govern. We are God’s image-bearers with unique dignity and responsibility. (Genesis 2)
6. The Psalms portray we live in a world that reveals the glory of God. God is majestic and glorious.
7. The Psalms call us to respond in praise of our Creator.
Take some time this week to read through Genesis 1-3 and Psalms 8, 19, 104 and 148. Look for the elements of creation language in these Psalms and how they relate to the creation account in Genesis.
We’d love to have you join us in our online Bible study group on Facebook or follow us on Instagram or on YouTube.
Download the FREE Psalms Study Guide with a reproducible study sheet for use with any Psalm.
For more helpful tips on studying the Bible, download the Dig In Bible Study Method Guide.
©2020 Susan Cady, susancady.com
Ash, Christopher. Teaching Psalms: Volume One-From Text to Message. Scotland: Christian Focus Publications, Ltd. (2017)